Distributed monitoring: v3.4.1 not translating host states like it should

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Tue Oct 30 18:30:37 CET 2012

Hey folks,

   I am in the process of implementing a distributed monitoring
architecture, and I'm having some problems with host state.  Here
are the specs:

Nagios v3.4.1
RHEL 6.3
Using NSCA to send results to passive collector

   Yes, I have 'translate_passive_host_checks' set on the collector.  :)

   So, the system is up and running, and I do see host alerts in
/var/log/messages on the collector.  However, in the web interface,
all hosts remain "up".  I can go into the host details for a host
that's offline because of Sandy, and it reports a host status of
"UP", with the status information "PING CRITICAL - Packet loss 100%".

   Obviously, the host states coming from the passive monitors are
not being translated.

   Active host and service checks are disabled on the collector,
and enabled on the monitors.  Passive host and service checks are
enabled everywhere, and the collector *is* receiving them.

   I'd appreciate it if someone can help me out here...  I'll
provide whatever details are necessary...

Thanks much!

Benny

--
"Unless you're a lawyer, you don't understand Oracle licensing.
That applies equally to Oracle employees as well as customers."