ping, telnet, ssh, from nagios-core website

Will Bashlor wbashlor at atcnetworks.net
Tue Oct 23 05:33:12 CEST 2012

I figured it out. Quite simple actually and works great, Here's my
steps:

1.)    Download CustomURL <http://customurl.codeplex.com/>  and install
in system folder (it will ask you). Setup each url protocol you desire.
Overwrite telnet if you want. You can test in Firefox or whatever
browser you use (i.e. by entering telnet://x.x.x.x replacing the x's
with the IP you want to telnet to).

2.)    Go into the Nagios host template that you are using for hosts you
need ping -t, telnet, and ssh for and enter this in the notes field (not
notes_url):

href="telnet://$HOSTADDRESS$">telnet</a>     <a
href="ssh://$HOSTADDRESS$">ssh</a>

To my surprise the notes field supports html code. Once you add this
code, restart Nagios and now in the extended info are of the host you
will find the 3 links for all hosts using that template. I may even add
some cool mini icons later, but for now the simple text links work fine.

Example:

define host {

                name                                    critical

                check_command
check-host-alive

                max_check_attempts                    1

                check_interval                 1

                retry_interval                    1

                check_period                   24x7

                contact_groups                                admins

                notification_interval                       30

                notification_period                         24x7

                notification_options                       d,u,r,f,s

                notes                                    <a
href="ping://$HOSTADDRESS$">ping</a>     <a
href="telnet://$HOSTADDRESS$">telnet</a>     <a
href="ssh://$HOSTADDRESS$">ssh</a>

                register                                0

}

Maybe this will help someone. Cheers...

-Will