solutions for off-server PNP4Nagios perfdata processing?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Oct 3 18:27:01 CEST 2012

On 10/03/2012 05:58 PM, Frost, Mark {BIS} wrote:
> Dan,
>
> As I understand it, the issue is less about Nagios and more about
> npcd.   Nagios merrily produces the perfdata files and then npcd
> comes along and scoops them up, but as it's processing them it's
> opening a lot of rrd files and inserting data into them.

That's what rrdcached is for. It's supposed to stash the perfdata
in memory so writes don't have to happen so often. You defeat the
purpose if you use a cache-timer shorter than your check-interval
though, but if you have, say, a 30 minute cache time and a 5 minute
check-interval, you basically cut I/O down to 1/6th of the normal.

If you also hook up a decent-sized ssd, you get x21 throughput
from before, so all in all you can get a rough increase of 12000%
with both those options enabled.

>   So really
> it's npcd that's the problem.  Well, not really a problem, but
> ultimately it's doing its thing and then Nagios gets less than a fair
> share of the box's I/O.   It's not that it's horrible right now, but
> we're starting to notice it and I would tend to be concerned about
> scaling problems.
>
> Honestly even with Nagios 3, it seems like Nagios' own I/O is
> entirely manageable so far with strategic use of ram disk.   It's
> just putting Nagios and PNP4Nagios (plus Apache to serve up the graph
> contents which I'm also not happen going on on the same server) on
> the same boxes that I don't like.

With Nagios 4, set status_file=/dev/null and use livestatus instead
and you're golden. Apart from the nagios.log, there's no other I/O
going on from Nagios' side, so it won't get stuck waiting for pnp to
get done.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.