Nagios showing OK for service which is in CRITICAL state

Niall O Broin niall at makalumedia.com
Fri Nov 23 08:38:52 CET 2012

Had a bit of a panic this morning to get into the office and see that an SSL cert. had expired. By pure good luck I was in work very early so I got moving on a new cert. and having done that, I headed off to my Nagios status page because I was pretty sure that I had a check for this cert. in place. Sure enough, I did, but Nagios wasn't displaying an alert for its expiry, nor had it warned me that it was about to expire.

I opened up the  Services  page and there I saw the following line, just as green as any of the others:

SSL cert. YOUR-DOMAIN  OK	2012-11-23 08:28:58	207d 17h 2m 26s	1/4	CRITICAL - Cannot make SSL connection

Now HOW on earth can Nagios be displaying  CRITICAL - Cannot make SSL connection  in the  Status Information  column while simultaneously showing  OK  in the Status column  ?

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin