Plugin check_oracle_health

Cosmin Neagu cosmin.neagu at omnilogic.ro
Wed Nov 7 13:46:59 CET 2012

     I think i installed DBD::Oracle successfully, otherwise, i do not
think i could have check this:
nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_oracle_health
--connect IGAS --username ABC --password ABC --mode=connection-time
OK - 0.09 seconds to connect as ABC | connection_time=0.0934;1;5

The env variables were set as nagios user, not as root. However there
seems to be some sort of env variable problem, but i cannot figure out what.

     I deleted the env variables from bashrc of nagios user, and set
them globally in /etc/env
nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios/etc/Eureko$ cat /etc/environment
PATH="/home/nagios/perl5/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/oracle/11.2/client/bin"
ORACLE_HOME="/usr/lib/oracle/11.2/client"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/oracle/11.2/client/lib"

And define the following scripts

nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ cat *check_oracle_health_time*
#!/bin/bash
export ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/11.2/client
export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
perl /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle_health --connect IGAS
--username ABC --password ABC --mode=connection-time

nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ cat *check_oracle_health_tnsping*
#!/bin/bash
export ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/11.2/client
export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
perl /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle_health --connect IGAS
--username ABC --password ABC--mode=tnsping -method=sqlplus

Both of this scrips should first set (again) the env variable and then
run the desired check_oracle_health plugin.

 From CLI, all 4 execution as nagios user works:
nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_oracle_health_tnsping
OK - connection established to IGAS.
nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_oracle_health
--connect IGAS --username ABC --password ABC --mode=tnsping -method=sqlplus
OK - connection established to IGAS.
nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_oracle_health_time
OK - 0.09 seconds to connect as ABC | connection_time=0.0897;1;5
nagios at monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_oracle_health
--connect IGAS --username iapc_etl --password etl14admin
--mode=connection-time
OK - 0.09 seconds to connect as ABC | connection_time=0.0915;1;5

But when defining services in Nagios strange thing happens:

The services defined in Nagios with
check_oracle_health_tnsping and
/check_oracle_health --connect IGAS --username ABC --password ABC
--mode=tnsping -method=sqlplus
both work, returning the corect result.

The services defined with
check_oracle_health_time and
check_oracle_health --connect IGAS --username ABC --password ABC
--mode=connection-time
both do not work returning:
CRITICAL - cannot connect to IGAS. install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't
locate DBD/Oracle.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/nagios/libexec
/etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2
/usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 13) line 3.

So my question for someone who has made check_oracle_healt work is:
How come all 4 invocation from CLI as nagios user work, but when Nagios
runs them, only 2 of them work.
I know that the error message tells me that there is some env variable
path problem, but why are the first 2 calls of check_oracle_healt work then?

  Cosmin Neagu
  NOC Team Leader
  Str. I. G. Duca nr. 36
  Otopeni, Judetul Ilfov, 075100 Romania