How many hosts and services are you monitoring with Nagios?

Max Schubert maxs at webwizarddesign.com
Thu May 17 18:32:16 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Mike Guthrie <mguthrie at nagios.com> wrote:
> Had to reply to this one since I actually studied Max's blog articles
> for ideas when I was researching performance tuning.  Thanks Max for not
> only pioneering some of these ideas, but actually documenting what you
> did.  ; )
> http://www.semintelligent.com/blog/articles/38/nagios-performance-tuning-early-lessons-learned-lessons-shared-part-4-scalable-performance-data-graphing

Wow!  Forgot about that, glad the ideas in it helped you - Nothing
pioneering (though thank you for saying that), I culled work from
others and my teammate and I then took that and built on it.

I am hoping we can release our network performance data sending
framework first, which was initially based on the PNP modpnpsender
module and has now been re-written from scratch by several of us based
on Andreas's test NEB module that showed how to use the NEB module to
write to a pipe with a process listening to the pipe in order to
minimize time spent in Nagios and therefore latency added by the
NEB-based add in.

>  Nagios XI Benchmarking Test Box
> - Running on one of our old Desktops:  1 Dual Core CPU, 4GB of RAM,
> CentOS 5.7
> - Ndoutils/MySQL offloaded to a second server
> - 1800 Hosts, 8200 services, 10k checks running every 5mn
> - Processing perfdata for all checks
> - rrdcached in use with PNP
> - RAM Disk being used for status.dat, objects.cache, host-perfdata,
> service-perfdata, all spool and tmp directories

Nice!