Confusion on nrpe

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 9 16:38:49 CEST 2012

Replying in-line, as is the common form on this list.

On 05/09/2012 03:33 PM, Meyer, Bruce wrote:

> HiJacking a thread? What are you talking about? If I had maintained
> someone's subject but changed the content, that is hijacking a thread.
> Merely hitting 'reply' and deleting the subject and replacing it, deleting
> the body and writing my own does not seem to me, to qualify as hijacking a
> thread. That is creating a new thread, by changing the subject and body.
> Or am I completely missing something? I do sort by thread on my machine
> and my emails are perfectly sorted. Perhaps you should start sorting my
> subject instead of X-header or whatever you are threading on now.
>
> I would love to have learned something about what you are talking about,
> but so far, you haven't explained a thing, merely complained.
>

> If I want it further threaded, then it is grouped by the subject.  What on
> earth are you threading by (and what amazing email client are you using)
> that causes my repurposing an email the way I do to cause a problem,
> X-Header attributes?
>
> If you have a problem with a persons actions, You should have taken the
> reply immediately offline, and not sent it to the group. You should also
> explain why doing what I do causes a problem, and not assume that what I
> do is intentional to cause a problem. Maybe I am not born with all
> knowledge and experience in all things mailing list known to man, as you
> apparently are.
>
> Some people try to teach and share knowledge. Since you insist, I will
> continue here to we can all learn from your complaint and eventual
> (hopefully) explanation as to how my process causes problems. BTW, You are
> the first person ever to have mentioned that doing it this way is causing
> a problem. I'll keep the thread here instead of taking it offline. This
> way if anyone else does what I do, we can all learn why this causes a
> problem.
>
> Maybe, we can get the owner of the mailing list to place a link or footer
> in each posting that says what address to send emails to. Then people like
> I who don't know, could just copy and paste that email address into new
> emails instead of hitting reply and changing subject and body and letting
> it fly. That is a fairly common thing in newsgroups postings, probably for
> this exact reason.
>
> I eagerly await your instructional and helpful reply.

And here it is:
When someone mentions, without malice, that you've done something wrong,
examine your actions closely before claiming that those educating you
are ignorant or wrong. If you can't find any fault in how you did things,
ask nicely for an explanation. It's quite likely others know something
you don't, and unless you actually *are* the reigning deity on the
subject at hand, showing some humility is always a good idea.

Hijacking a thread is not a big deal. Trying to correct us because we
say it's wrong is however a very bad idea when you want our help.

Hope that helps in your future endeavours.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.