Service hard state generation and host hard or soft down status

Paul Ezvan paul at ezvan.fr
Fri May 4 14:39:40 CEST 2012

Le 04/05/2012 13:30, Andreas Ericsson a écrit :
> On 05/04/2012 12:16 PM, Paul Ezvan wrote:
>
>> What is your point of view about the above proposition ?
>>

> That, from a practical perspective, Nagios is doing the Right
> Thing(tm)
> already. Avoiding false positives is almost as important as catching
> all true negatives, and adding soft-state logic to this would mean we
> send one false positive for each failing host that happens to have a
> service-check occur after the soft state but before the hard state.

I don't understand your point, the current logic can generate a false
positive for example by generating a hard non-ok state for a service
just before a soft recovery happens for the associated host.

For example if a user want to reduce the number of false positive by
increasing max_check_attempts it won't have any effect on avoiding hard
non-ok state for services on soft down host.

I think that adding this king of logic would reduce false positive
instead, wouldn't it ?

Cheers,

Paul