puzzling no output from nrpe run of check_load

Peter N. Steinmetz ndoc3 at steinmetz.org
Thu May 3 01:34:46 CEST 2012

Continuing with this debugging. I think I understand the point about needing a shell permission to write output to the terminal window.

I've now replaced the shell on the remote host with /bin/false and eliminated the password for the nagios user on the remote machine. If I leave the password and shell for the nagios user on the nagios server, I can execute the following there:

sudo su nagios -c "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H rm16 -c check_load"

and I get the expected output. This would seem to imply that the nrpe daemon on the remote can run the check_load command and get output from it, passing it back to the nagios server, right?

The configuration for the remote service on the nagios server is (in /etc/nagios3/conf.d/rm16.cfg):

define service {
 use generic-service
 host_name rm16
 service_description nrpe-load
 check_command check_nrpe!check_load
}
which appears to agree with the example on page 11 of the NRPE manual.

Yet the nagios server is constantly showing:

Current Status:	  UNKNOWN   (for 7d 22h 37m 19s)
Status Information:	(No output returned from plugin)
NRPE Plugin for Nagios

for service state information on that remote host.

The definition of the check_command seems right for a no argument command on the remote -- but is this wrong somehow?

I also just tried changing the service definition to

# NRPE load check
define service {
 use generic-service
 host_name rm16
 service_description nrpe-load
 check_command check_nrpe_1arg!check_load!$HOSTADDRESS$
}

but the same complaint is showing up in the server output for this service, which seems a bit odd given then the command should now be check_nrpe_1arg rather than check_nrpe.

thanks,
Peter

--
Peter N. Steinmetz, M.D.,Ph.D.