Nagios based distributed monitoring systems out there?

James Whittington James.Whittington at vc3.com
Wed May 2 23:55:56 CEST 2012

" what you mean by "reverse tunnel master/slave distributed model,"
So you have master server
- that presents the master web interface
- controls configs for everything
-sends out notifications

Slave servers are placed at remote locations to do active polling and results are returned to the master.
Slave servers initiate ssh session to master and open up reverse tunnel back to itself.
So data from slaves comes in via port 22, config data is pushed out to slaves over reverse ssh port.

The cool thing is we don't have to deal with opening up ssh on a bunch of remote networks.
As long as SSH is allowed out from remote networks and we allow in SSH from the remote networks everything just works.

Other distributed setups I had seen had to have direct ssh access out from master to slave.

Opsview Community edition was really a great value, but the move to enterprise edition would be a big cost increase, so I figured it was worth asking about distributed setup in other nagios based products.

James