one shot check at specific time of day

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Mar 21 11:32:09 CET 2012

On 03/21/2012 11:13 AM, Marki wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I have problems defining a check so that it only runs once each day (at a
> specified time).
>
> Inspired by
> http://www.mail-archive.com/nagios-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg24221.html I tried
> define timeperiod {
>          timeperiod_name         tp_backupcheck
>          alias                   mornin checks
>          day 1 - -1              08:00-08:15
> }
> as well as
> define timeperiod {
>          timeperiod_name         tp_backupcheck
>          alias                   mornin checks
>          monday          08:00-08:15
>          tuesday         08:00-08:15
>          wednesday       08:00-08:15
>          thursday        08:00-08:15
>          friday          08:00-08:15
>          saturday        08:00-08:15
>          sunday          08:00-08:15
> }
>
> combined with
>
> define service {
>          use                     normal
>          host_name               bla01
>          service_description     bla backup
>          check_command           check_bla_backup
>          max_check_attempts      1
>          check_interval   30
>          check_period            tp_backupciheck
> }
>
> Now it schedules the check each day for 07:58 or 07:59 or 07:59:58 or alike and
> obviously it is never run.

That's really odd. I wonder if we're randomizing unduly when scheduling
checks.

> How do I do this properly?

First thought; Set the check_interval to less than the checking window.
Assuming you're using minutes (like most people), the check_interval
should probably be something like 10, so it fits once but not twice
within the scheduled window.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.