Disk Partitioning for Nagios

VictorSanchez2 victorsanchez2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 17:22:32 CEST 2012

On 08/06/12 16:40, Alex Griffin wrote:
> I don't think it's really necessary to have a separate /usr or /boot
> partition. GRUB2 can boot from LVM partitions these days. 2 GB also
> seems excessive for a /tmp partition.
>
> In all honesty it doesn't actually matter as much as a lot of people
> think it does. There are some setups which are obviously brain dead, but
> much of it comes down to personal preference too. Using LVM will allow
> you to flexibly change your partitions as your needs shift, so you
> should definitely use that if you're unsure of your needs.
>
> Alex Griffin
> ---
> Tech Team
> agriffin at nagios.com
>
> On 06/07/2012 02:31 AM, Victor Sanchez2 wrote:
>> Hi Faiz,
>>
>> the more important things are about database and performace. If you are
>> going to work with NDOUtils for example and MySQL, the best option is to
>> create a new and independent mount point depending on the data retention
>> that you need. Then /var/lib/mysql could be a good option.
>>
>> For performance, if you are going to work with pnp4nagios for example, a
>> good option is an independent mount point for /var/lib/pnp4nagios.
>>
>> And for global configuration, you can create the following for example:
>>
>> 250MB - /boot  (out of the LVM)
>> LVM
>>         XXX - swap (depending on your requirements)
>>         2GB  /tmp
>>         10GB /usr
>>         8GB   /var
>>         4GB   /home (it depends on that you want to do)
>>         XXX  /opt  (if you don't need more "external" software, probably
>> you don't need it with a big reserve)
>>         2GB  /
>>
>>         50GB  /var/lib/mysql
>>         30GB  /var/lib/pnp4nagios
>>
>> Also, if you are going to work with SVN to save the .cfg files versions,
>> you probably need a new mount point for this to separate it.
>>
>> This is a example, it depends on each time. If you can, separete the
>> important things in different mount points and maintain an standard
>> operating system partitioning.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>       Víctor.
>>

>> On 7 June 2012 08:25, Muhamad Faiz<Muhamad.Faiz at asia.xchanging.com
>> <mailto:Muhamad.Faiz at asia.xchanging.com>>  wrote:
>>
>>      Hi guys, ____
>>
>>      __ __
>>
>>      I’m not sure if this question has been asked before but I can’t find
>>      anything about this. What is the recommended partitioning scheme in
>>      Linux (ie Redhat) suitable for Nagios implementation? How much
>>      percentage for /, 40% for /var or what not. Please advice.____
>>
>>      __ __
>>
>>      Thanks.____
>>
>>      __ __
>>
>>      - Faiz____

Hi Alex,

Probably I'm agree with you, but there is a lot of important things and
is only a general example, I don't know the distribution or version.

For example, Grub2 with a huge disks could have problems. Also, Grub2
with LVM and XFS filesystems or LVM and cipher partions could have
problems is several versions.

Also, a small /tmp with an third party application with problems could
fill your filesystem with million of files, and also there is a lot of
tasks that could fill it generating logs, tcpdumps, etc. 2GB there
aren't a lot and could help you to avoid this.

I'm my opinion, for enterprise purposes, I prefer /boot without LVM and
a little on /tmp to avoid problems with external applications or people
that could use /tmp to generate logs or another things.

I repeat, all of this is only an example, each one could prefer one
thing or another. Each environment is different.

Best regards,
    Víctor.