check_ping strange behavior with google

Holger Weiß holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Thu Jun 7 21:26:25 CEST 2012

* Travis Runyard <travisrunyard at gmail.com> [2012-06-07 09:56]:
> http://nagiosplugins.org/man/check_ping
>
> <host_address> = IP address. NOT hostname.

Indeed, "host_address" seems to suggest an IP address.  Then again, the
long option is called "--hostname" :-)  Anyway, you can specify either
an IP address or a hostname.  Why don't you simply try it out?

> $HOSTADDRESS$ - Address of the host. This value is taken from the
> *address* directive in the host definition

You neither have to hand over the $HOSTADDRESS$ to check_ping (you could
use the $HOSTALIAS$ or whatever you like instead), nor do you have to
specify an IP address as the "address" of a host.¹  We use only
hostnames in our Nagios configuration.

Holger

¹ "Normally, this is an IP address, although it could really be anything
  you want" -- http://nagios.sf.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#host