How to deal with hosts that are not always on

Marc Haber mh+nagios-users at zugschlus.de
Sun Jul 29 10:51:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a number of hosts that are not always turned on, such as my
Notebook, my home server (which sleeps if not used) and a number of
test VMs. To get a reasonable volume of checks in my test installation
of Nagios, I would like to have those machines monitored by it.

Obviously, I have notifications for those hosts turned off. This,
however, leads to non-zero numbers in the critical, warning and
unknown fields in the CGI, which gives a wrong impression of my health
status since it is normal and expected that those hosts/services are
down.

Is there any solution for this dilemma? Can I have Nagios monitor
hosts without reporting them as down when they are down?

I know this may sound strange, but I would like to have statistics
about how long the machines have been up and when.

Greetings
Marc

Mannheim, Germany  |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621 31958061
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 621 31958062