Nagios and IPv6

Robert V. Bolton robert at robertvbolton.com
Tue Jul 10 19:51:37 CEST 2012

I saw in the email thread about you asking if you need to use a patch for
Nagios to use IPv6. The answer to your question is no. If you have a IPv6
only host you can use the IPv6 address in the address field. You need to
type the entire IPv6 address out, because Nagios doesn’t handle the double
colon (::) shorthand very well. You'll need to update your commands to use
the IPv6 option such as specifying the  -6 flag on some of the checks. If
you have a dual stack host with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses you'll need to
use a custom variable in order to specify a IPv6 address. Custom variables
are created by using the underscore (_) before the variable name. For
example I use _address6 for IPv6 addresses in my configuration files for
the host I monitor. In my commands config file I reference the custom
variable like so: $_HOSTADDRESS6$. I hope this helps.

--
*Robert V. Bolton*
Email: robert at robertvbolton.com
Web: http://robertvbolton.com