Service and host notifications: best practise

FTL Nagios ftlnagios at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 17:57:17 CET 2012

Hi Keith,

Escalations are your friend.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/escalations.html

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#hostescalation

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#serviceescalat
ion

Regards

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Edmunds [mailto:kae at midnighthax.com]
Sent: 27 January 2012 16:27
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Service and host notifications: best practise

We have a setup similar to: 100 monitored servers split into five groups,
A-E.

We would like notifications for host and service problems for all servers to
be sent to the IT team. In addition, we would like host and service problems
for servers in Group A to go to the group A manager, host and service
problems for Group B to go to the group B manager, and so on.

We tend to manage host notification via host groups, and service
notifications via service groups. We really want to manage service
notifications on a host group basis, so if Apache fails on a group A
machine, we notify the IT team and the Group A manager.

I'm looking for ideas for implementing that in a manageable and scalable
way.

If I've not described the problem clearly enough, I apologise: please ask
questions for clarity.

Thanks,
Keith
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?

any issue.