Opinions on load balancing and failover mechanisms

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Wed Jan 25 23:44:49 CET 2012

There are a lot of options..  DNX, Merlin, mod_gearman to name a few...
I could read the docs (and have read a good portion of some of them) and
could implement test environments (and will eventually need to) but
first I want opinions from people who've done this at large scale.

I need to improve on our load distribution and failover mechanisms.
Right now worker node outages are handled through freshness checking,
and master node outages are handled through a load balanced vip and some
fancy cron jobs that kick up a cold spare.

What are the better options for local load distribution and geographic
master failover?  Which options will better handle thousands of servers
across a dozen colos, in half a dozen countries, when the goal is that
no single host (or colo!) going offline can be allowed to have an effect
on any other subset of the infrastructure?  Which options should I avoid?

Currently running Nagios Core 3.2.1 with NSCA 2.9 on mostly FreeBSD
systems.  Soon that should be Core 3.3, with XI on top, plus whatever
load distribution mechanism wins the dog fight.

--
Mike Lindsey