Inharitance for service check in host group

Taylor A Judd tjudd at sfsu.edu
Tue Jan 24 23:07:51 CET 2012

Greetings,

We have a nagios setup that uses inheritance to a larger degree than I am used to. I've read the documentation at:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html  But I still can't get my head around how to accomplish my goal.

I have server/host that has notified for procs warning. I investigated this and it is a known bug and safely ignored for this specific server.  Ideally I'd like to increase the warning/critical points for the service definition for just this host; but I'm also comfortable just not using this service check until a patch for the current problem is issued.   Disabling via the web interface is not an acceptable option for my mangers.

Service definition:
define service{
        use                                             unix-agent-service
        hostgroup_name                  linux-servers
        service_description             Agent: Total Processes
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_total_procs
}

The host definition:
define host{
        use                     linux-server
        host_name               unixlab
        alias                   Unix Lab
        address                 PRIVATE
        }

Group/server Definition:
# Linux host definition template
define host{
        name                            linux-server
        use                             generic-host
        alias                           Linux server
        hostgroups                      linux-servers
        register                        0
        }

The host inherits all the services defined in the hostgroup linux-servers. I've tried giving the service check a name and then setting that name to null in the host definition, but I think this syntax is wrong and/or I'm not understanding that part of inheritance:

define service{
        name                                            agent-total-processes
       use                                             unix-agent-service
        hostgroup_name                  linux-servers
        service_description             Agent: Total Processes
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_total_procs
}

The host definition:
define host{
        use                     linux-server
        host_name               unixlab
        alias                   Unix Lab
        address                 PRIVATE
              agent-total-processes    null
}

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious... based on my reading of inheritance this should be possible but I'm not able to wrap my head around it.

Thoughts?
Taylor