Can passive results cause active check rescheduling?

Craig Stewart Craig.Stewart at corp.xplornet.com
Tue Jan 24 19:55:47 CET 2012

Jim,

I do use freshness checking to get the desired behaviour.

I don't want the active check to run unless they need to.  If it (the
central server) is doing active service checks, one of the main reasons
to run a distributed setup, distribution of resource requirements, gets
tossed.  Admittedly, in a set up where the hosts are being "double
monitored" it will speed the discovery of events and clears.  Of course
that causes "problems" where the NMS gets blamed for causing too many
"false alarms."  I'm sure many people here are familiar with this concept.

The main reason I was looking at this was to make  someone who doesn't
understand at what he's looking, and with the title director after his
name happy.  Trying to find a technical fix to a non-problem.

Craig
--
Craig Stewart
Systems Integration Analyst
Craig.Stewart at corp.xplornet.com
Xplornet - Broadband, Everywhere

On 01/24/2012 01:25 PM, Jim Avery wrote:

> My understanding of what Nagios does is it schedules the active check,
> it goes in to the schedule queue with the specific time it's scheduled
> to run and that is the time it will run regardless of what passive
> checks come in in the mean time.
>
> I don't understand why it's a problem to you to have the active checks
> run in their regular times under the control of the Nagios scheduler
> with passive checks coming in too at whatever times they come in.
> Granted you will fairly often have the two checks run at almost the
> same time, but does that cause you a problem?
>
> You're right you could use freshness checking.  Is there a particular
> reason why you chose not to?

This e-mail (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient and
may contain confidential information protected by duties of confidentiality or privilege. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please immediately notify us by return e-mail or by telephone, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.   Thank you.

Ce message est destiné uniquement à la personne prévue et peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels et/ou privilégiés au titre d’une obligation de confidentialité. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire visé, veuillez nous en informer sans délai par courriel ou téléphone et détruire ce message ainsi que toute pièce jointe, sans en garder de copie. Merci.