Nagios check frequency

Deborah Martin Deborah.Martin at kognitio.com
Mon Jan 23 13:48:28 CET 2012

Wadud,

Surely, a check frequency of 60 minutes is not a good idea since, it could be that the node has been down for an hour before anyone knows anything about it ?

I would recommend checking every 10 minutes to start with since that is the frequency you'd want to check if it was a NON-OK status anyway. You can set your notifications to be a longer period between checks which is how I configure Nagios.

We check a database every 20 minutes for example, for RAM usage,  but only notify every 4 hours. So, users still get the initial alert that ram usage has breached a threshold but are only reminded every 4 hours. And of course, if there is a recovery  to an OK status within that 4 hours,
users would be emailed as well.

It works well for us and doesn't bombard users with emails either which means they are less likely to filter nagios alerts into the "Deleted" email folder.

Of course, you probably have an excellent reason for only checking every 60 minutes which I haven't thought of so this is really just my tuppence worth....!

Regards,
Deborah