check_http frequent timeouts

James Osbourn james.osbourn at citrix.com
Thu Jan 19 10:20:53 CET 2012

I am monitoring an external web server at one of our sites from a Nagios instance at another site.  During the day I will see frequent timeouts retrieving the webpage.  I have increased the timeout to 20 seconds and the problem still occurs.

What is interesting is that I have other web serves at the same site being monitored in the same way that are not exhibiting the same issue.

I am trying to pin down whether this is a related to the Nagios check or if the server itself is as fault, or perhaps the path in between.  The only difference with those servers that are working and the one that is giving time outs is the web server that is be running.  The one with the time outs is running lighttp and the others are running apache.

Has anyone seen any similar situation and could lend any suggestions as to a possible fix.

Thanks

James