Dualstack monitoring best practice

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jan 10 10:51:21 CET 2012

On 01/09/2012 08:18 PM, Michael Friedrich wrote:
> Robert V. Bolton wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Michael Friedrich
>> <michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
>> <mailto:michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at>>  wrote:
>>
>>      there's a patch for nagios around, adding address6 as host attribute.
>>      even if there are custom variables, it's more intentional for keeping
>>      the systems dualstacked in the future by adding that.
>>

>> You don't need to add the patch to add an address6 variable, just use
>> a Custom Object Variable
>> <http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/customobjectvars.html>. I use
>> to run Nagios with  patch that added the address6 variable, but it
>> ended up screwing me up in the long run.
>
> sure, the patch needs some rework, but when done, it fits, even it won't
> make it upstream due to the change of the objects abi. but for safety
> reasons in upgrading, your solution is better.

We might turn "address" into an array variable later. I'm not sure it's
worth it though. Until someone finds a best practice that is flexible
enough to allow all setups while making the most common one really, really
simple we probably won't try to do anything that will lock people in to a
particular kind of reasoning. That ofcourse requires someone to actually
figure out first what the most common case is, and then to figure out a
best practice for how to monitor it that enough people agree on to make
it at least a majority vote that we dictators implement.

Until such a time, custom variables, plugin hackery and check command
voodoo seems to do the trick for most people.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.