check_ntp_peer reports stratum off-by-one?

Paul WILLIS PSE 55499 paul.willis at kent.pnn.police.uk
Tue Jan 3 11:26:52 CET 2012

Hi Matthew

I apologise for lecturing you, I thought you were confused over that aspect. But certainly it is reporting the
stratum of its peer. With -v on one of our servers I get for example in part
parsing stratum from peer bf36: 2
and bf36 hex is 48950 which is the associationID of our timesource which is stratum 2.
We only have a single timesource so I'm not sure how it deals with multiple host strata. My guess
would be it just takes that of the asterisked timesource.

Regards

Paul Willis

On 2011/12/30, at 06:03, Paul WILLIS PSE 55499 wrote:

> Hi Matthew
>
> Its neither, its actually you not understanding what peer means. Peer is effectively the next time server (or servers) up the chain,
> so generally they will be different by one. To  see what peer means, type in ntpq, then type in peer. That will list the peers of your server and their strata, NOT the stratum of your server. The main usage of peers is to make sure you are getting time from the correct source or sources. If it is only showing local sources for example it indicates you have lost contact with the external ntp sources and are just using the hardware clock.

I understand exactly how NTP works and what a peer is.  The ntpq command I ran is giving me the stratum of that server, not of its peers.  Are you saying that check_ntp_peer connects to a remote server and reports on its *peers* rather than on it?  That seems to contradict the help documentation.  How is it able to distill the strata of several of that server's peers into a single stratum value?