service checks running too often

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Dec 14 10:41:24 CET 2012

On 12/14/2012 05:13 AM, Mark Keisler wrote:
> I think I found the issue.  If I happen to send a reload (HUP) to nagios
> while a service check is in progress (fairly easy since my service check is
> rather long lived), the reloaded nagios doesn't seem to know about that
> service check and so I'll end up with another being scheduled as well as
> the original on its schedule.  Create a dummy service check that just
> sleeps for 30 seconds or something and issue a reload while it is running
> and see if your nagios instance will start another sequence of service
> checks.

This should be pretty easily fixed by just adding a check reaping event
before initializing the event queue and skipping all checks that have
already been scheduled.

I'll have to add a check for it in 4.x. Since we keep workers between
reloads, the same thing can easily happen there.

That means we'll reschedule all checks like normal when we're starting,
but if a check result comes in when a new check is already scheduled,
we'll remove the old event and reschedule a new one according to the
retry interval. I'd suggest doing something similar in the 3.4.x
branch, but I'm not sure I can commit to that one without doing a new
svn clone, and that takes at least a day.

Mark; Would that be acceptable to you?

Oh, and good catch :)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.