check_openmanage: timeout vs. SNMP timeout

Andrew Daugherity adaugherity at tamu.edu
Tue Dec 11 19:35:35 CET 2012

Trond Hasle Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at ...> writes:
> > A new option to specify the SNMP object timeout would be easy to add,
> > and is in my opinion a cleaner approach than just passing the plugin
> > timeout.
>
> Such an option is now implemented in the Git version:
>
> http://git.uio.no/git/?p=check_openmanage.git;a=commit;h=32564b44c2631eeac03a920f0c180fb12e4b29c8
>

> Please try this version (named 3.7.8-beta2) and let me know if it works
> around your problem. Usage:
>
>   check_openmange --snmp-timeout <integer>

I think I fixed my problem (for the time being at least) by restarting OMSA on that server.  Restarting snmpd didn't solve anything, nor did my timeout hack (which just gave me an UNKNOWN status - plugin timeout instead of SNMP CRITICAL when it randomly failed).  Whenever the check failed, it would hang indefinitely, so it was not a case of slow SNMP.  Thanks for the added option, though; I think someone may find it useful.

Regarding your fix:
The timeout option does appear to get passed to SNMP, however the actual timeout is twice what is specified.  E.g. --snmp=timeout=1, get SNMP critical message after 2 seconds; --snmp-timeout=14, SNMP critical at 28 seconds; --snmp-timeout=15 or higher, get UNKNOWN: PLUGIN TIMEOUT message at 30 seconds.  (I used a host without snmpd running for the timeout tests.)  I can't see anything obviously wrong with your code, but it behaves this way both on both SLES 11 SP1 (Perl 5.10, net-snmp 5.4.2.1, Net::SNMP 6.0.1) and OS X 10.8 (Perl 5.12.4, net-snmp 5.6, Net::SNMP 6.1 [from CPAN]).

You probably also want to add this option to the help/usage message.

-Andrew