check_snmp

Brad Beckenhauer bbecken at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 15:20:42 CEST 2012

I have got an app that require us to monitor the Swap file
space and trigger an alert when the Available Swap (free
space, falls below 500MB).  Initially it seems pretty simple, but the check_snmp plugin does not seem to be working with ranges.

Here is the first command and it is correctly reporting the free space on
the system.  Great, so I added some warning and critical limits but the
limits are not working the way I expected.

Test 1: No limits, looks good.

# ./check_snmp -H removed -m UCD-SNMP-MIB -C removed -o memAvailSwap.0
SNMP OK - 751600 | UCD-SNMP-MIB::memAvailSwap.0=751600

Test 2: This should return OK because the warning is outside the returned value, but it is reporting a WARNING.

# ./check_snmp -H removed -m UCD-SNMP-MIB -C removed -o memAvailSwap.0 -w 400000:500000
SNMP WARNING - *751348* | UCD-SNMP-MIB::memAvailSwap.0=751348

Test 3: This should return OK, but is incorrectly reporting CRITICAL.
# ./check_snmp -H removed -m UCD-SNMP-MIB -C removed -o memAvailSwap.0 -w 400000:500000 -c 1:250000
SNMP CRITICAL - *751352* | UCD-SNMP-MIB::memAvailSwap.0=751352

Test 4: This should return a WARNING, but instead is reporting OK.

/check_snmp -H removed -m UCD-SNMP-MIB -C removed -o memAvailSwap.0 -w 500000:800000
SNMP OK - 751352 | UCD-SNMP-MIB::memAvailSwap.0=751352

This acts like the -w is the "acceptable range",

Perhaps my understanding of the check_snmp is incorrect...

Since I cannot install an agent on the OS, I'm open to suggestions on monitoring the free disk space on the system via SNMP or fixing the check_snmp package.

thanks