What all ports need to be opened?

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Thu Aug 23 18:44:24 CEST 2012

On 23/08/2012 16:46, Aravinth Anto Intern wrote:
> I'm doing some checks on my client side. Say running cpu load check ,
> apache check and others.

What ports you require open will completely depend on what you're
checking. The cpu load check could be via SNMP, in which case you want
to open the SNMP ports (I believe these are usually UDP). Apache might
run on port 80 and / or 443 - but, to be honest, it could run on *ANY*
port, you just need to allow the relevant access from your Nagios system
to access that.

For each and every check, you need to evaluate how you are checking and
create a rule for that particular access.

There are no shortcuts, not secure ones anyway (e.g. trust your
monitoring system implicitly across your entire network).

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd