Defining passive checks

Mark Elsen mark.elsen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:47:51 CEST 2012

> I'm a long-time user of Nagios with active checks. Today I started using
> passive checks with NSCA and I'm having a problem.
>
> The documentation states "A service must be defined in Nagios before you
> can submit passive check results for it".
>
> I defined a config block like this, to define a service for the Oracle
> service that I want to monitor passively - omitting the check_command
> directive.
>
> define service {
>          service_description            Oracle
>          host_name                      oddjob.resnet.bris.ac.uk
>          use                            resnet-service
> }
>

> But running nagios -v gives this output:
>
> Error: Service description, host name, or check command is NULL
> Error: Could not register service (config file
> '/etc/nagios/nagios_service.cfg', starting on line 8618)
>     Error processing object config files!
>

> So what's the approved way of defining a service without specifying a
> command for active checks?

 The approved way is that you can't because it remains a >service<
definition, however the command
can be dummy , although it must be defined.
The command definition however is obliviated by  using :

               active_checks_enabled      0
               passive_checks_enabled   1

Sometimes for check_command check-host-alive is being used, this avoids
long outstaniding stale data
for the specific passive service definition.

M.