check_ntp_peer reports stratum off-by-one?

Holger Weiß holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Mon Aug 6 21:31:22 CEST 2012

* Marc Haber <mh+nagios-users at zugschlus.de> [2012-07-22 16:28]:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 02:51:31PM +0200, Holger Weiß wrote:
> > * Marc Haber <mh+nagios-users at zugschlus.de> [2012-07-14 21:02]:
> > > Does this mean that the --swarn und --twarn options actually check the
> > > stratum of the "best" peer of the queried server, not the queried
> > > server itself?
> >
> > The --swarn and --scrit options (not --twarn), yes.¹
>
> > ¹ http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.plugins/4333
>
> I would be in favour of sending a second query to get the results
> right. Correcting the documentation to reflect what the software
> really does is only the second best solution.

I agree, but we usually try hard not to break existing configurations,
so I merely updated the documentation for the moment.

> > --tcrit=4 is equivalent to --tcrit=0:4 and tells the plugin to raise a
> > critical alert if the number of truechimers is outside the range {0..4}.
>
> Now that you mention it, things are clear. And it is also mentioned in
> the --help. But, is the example, "-m :5 -n :3" not the other way round?

D'oh, indeed.  Fixed, thanks for the hint.

Holger