Parent and Child Relationships

Jim McNamara jim at packetalk.net
Thu Apr 26 04:55:01 CEST 2012

I'm having an issue figuring out the parents remote routers that are
connected over radio links to my main router. In one of my installations
I have remote hosts (D) behind a remote router (C)  that is connected to
my "main" network via two radio connections (B1,B2). The "main" router
(A) is needed to communicate with all of the remote hosts (C,D) because
of the necessary routing and natting.

I've used the two radios (B1,B2) plugged into the remote routers (C) as
the parents for the router (C), and discovered that with two parents,
nagios uses an OR style to determine the child host state. In this case,
if either B1 or B2 is up, the child C should be up. This is accurate to
a point in my case, but for the complete picture I need to introduce
something like an AND to this. Specifically, to reach host C, A must be
up, and either B1 or B2.

I had though to make A the parent of B1 and B2, but it simply isn't. B1
and B2 can be reached with A down.

Is there a way to specify parent/child relationships where there are
three parents, but one specific parent must be up and at least one of
the other two?