Soft fail alerts in web interface

Sean Carley scarley at gmi-mr.com
Thu Apr 19 16:38:05 CEST 2012

Hi Corcoran, I agree this is a needed feature. One of my guys was saying it's only the default Nagios gui that prevents this, you can try something like Nagstamon to get a jump on acking SOFT failures.

One really should not have to wait until the HARD state pages people to acknowledge a problem. That is silly, and so is the confused user counter-argument. Surely your staff would soon learn that acks can come without alerts (assuming they can't be trained to uncheck the notification box). It would be even better if Nagios could make that notification box checked by default for HARD state, and unchecked for SOFT.

We found disabling notifications to be a dangerous thing, and not a solution to this problem. People never remember to re-enable them and alerts get missed. I got tired of checking for disabled notifications regularly, so I put in an apache rewrite rule to discourage disabling them in the first place. We insist the user either acknowledge a problem or schedule downtime.

-Sean