Timeouts often false alarms and how to fix

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 05:19:26 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a few fc16 boxes and often times alerts are generated for
timeouts while connecting to a remote service on a client such as
clamd or smtpd:

PROCS CRITICAL: 0 processes with command name 'smtpd', UID = 89 (postfix)

Why is it that this happens? It doesn't happen all the time. I know
there are processes running with this command name, so not sure why
this alert would be generated.

It most often happens for me with smtpd and clamd. Is there a way to
extend the timeout, or enable some further debugging to troubleshoot
this?

Thanks,.
Alex