Check_SNMP Plugin Problem

Kfir Yogev (RRsat) kfir.y at rrsat.com
Thu Apr 12 14:36:22 CEST 2012

Dear Nagios Team,

I am a new user with Nagios.
I am monitoring on of my switches, by using the Check_SNMP Plugin.

As explained on your tutorial, the "-r" in the command "check_snmp!-C public -o ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB" refers to the port state on my switch.

the problem is, that although nothing is connected to the port, the Nagios shows that the port connectivity is OK.
It identifies the port state (1,2,3) but the nagios doesn't show something is wrong.

See below:

[cid:image002.png at 01CD18C1.0CEBD7F0]

On the configuration file I configured:

# Monitor Ports status via SNMP

define service{
       use                  generic-service      ; Inherit values from a template
       host_name            LAB-C Switch
       service_description  Port 1 Link Status
       check_command        check_snmp!-C public -o ifOperStatus.1 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB
       }
define service{
       use                  generic-service      ; Inherit values from a template
       host_name            LAB-C Switch
       service_description  Port 15 Link Status
       check_command        check_snmp!-C public -o ifOperStatus.15 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB

as I understand from the plugin explanations, the Nagios should identify that any reply that is other than "1" should indicate an alarm.

I am using:
Nagios Core 3.3.1
Plugins pack 1.4.15
CentOS Linux
Net-SNMP and Net-SNMP-Utils are installed.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kfir Yogev,

LES 711 Engineering and Support - Mobile Satellite Services - Station 711
RRsat - Global Communications Network Ltd. (NASDAQ RRST)
www.rrsat.com<http://www.rrsat.com>  I  www.station711.com<http://www.station711.com>
Mailto: Kfir.y at rrsat.com<mailto:Kfir.y at rrsat.com>
[cid:image001.png at 01CD18BC.DE292890]