Nagios and SNMP traps..

Manish_Kmr Manish_Kmr at mahindrasatyam.com
Wed Apr 11 15:42:16 CEST 2012

Dear Team,

I am trying to integrate Nagios and SNMP traps for monitoring network devices with trap facility for immediate information of any issue on these critical devices. I have followed the document from NagiosXI to do the same and have already installed net-snmp and snmptt to handle the traps.

As I was testing and sending test trap from one another unix server using snmptrap utility, I am able to see it in

[root at mmkndnag networks]# tail -f /var/log/snmptt/snmptthandler.debug as below:-

SNMPTTHANDLER started: Wed Apr 11 18:50:11 2012

s = 1334150411, usec = 272432
s_pad = 1334150411, usec_pad = 272432

Data received:

<UNKNOWN>

UDP: [10.2.202.57]:33911

.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 10:3:34:28.65

.1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.4.1.0 .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.13.990.0.17

.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.6.0 Here

.1.3.6.1.6.3.18.1.3.0 x.x.x.x

.1.3.6.1.6.3.18.1.4.0 "community-string"

.1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.4.3.0 .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.13.990

Also I am sending test trap from another unix machine as below:-

snmptrap -v 1 -c public nagios-server-ip UCD-TRAP-TEST-MIB::demotraps "" 6 17 "" SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0 s "Here"

Also when I tested tcpdump on port 162 on nagios server I found that trap coming perfectly fine as below
tcpdump -i eth0 port 162

18:52:52.092229 IP trap-sending-ip.54276 > nagxi-server-name.snmptrap: Trap(50) E:2021.13.990 trap-sending-ip enterpriseSpecific s=17 87703152 [|snmp]

But as described in the document its not coming in the
tail -f /var/log/snmptt/snmpttunknown.log

Also there is no UCD-TRAP-TEST-MIB.txt file in /usr/share/snmp/mibs on nagiosxi server as described in that document, so it should come in the snmpttunknown.log

I have checked these config files of snmptt and everything looks fine ...
vim /etc/snmp/snmptt.ini
vim /etc/snmp/snmptt.conf

Also no test traps are showing up in but i am able to see other traps.
tail -f /var/log/snmptt/snmptt.log

I am not able to see any test trap related info in this file.
tail -f /var/log/snmptt/snmptt.debug

What can be the issue... Any suggestion

Thanks
Manish Kumar
Open Source Tools Team, IMS, Mahindra Satyam
Electronics City, Bangalore, India
http://in.linkedin.com/in/manishkumar85

DISCLAIMER: