Too many service dependencies - pre-filght check stalled

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 29 23:36:52 CEST 2011

On 09/29/2011 09:49 AM, Mohit Chawla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone faced the issue of pre-flight check not completing because
> of too many service dependencies ? The check stalls at 'Checking for
> circular host&  service dependencies'.
> I have a simple setup, but the number of dependencies is around 90k.
> Basically these are transport service groups like ssh, nrpe etc. on
> which a lot of checks depend.
>
> define servicedependency {
>      servicegroup_name    "transport-ssh"
>      dependent_servicegroup_name "group1, group2...groupN"
> }
>
> Similar for nrpe. The rest depend on ping.
>
>   Any suggestions ?

Some ideas come to mind immediately.

A) Implement the algorithm for dependencies that Jean Gabès hacked up for
parent/child detection.

B) Implement service parents. It's one of the (not that many) TODO items
for Nagios 4. That way you'd get the above check logic for free.

C) Rework how dependencies are organized in Nagios core memory and how
they link to other objects. That patch would have to go in Nagios 4 as
well, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

D) Remove the service dependencies which are for ping. Especially if you
use ICMP (ping) for checking if the host is up, since you're otherwise
using redundant dependency logic.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.