howto ignore "down" hosts

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Wed Sep 28 21:42:40 CEST 2011

> On Sep 28, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> a dumb question - is it possible to ignore hosts which are down, i.e. no
>> messages are sent if the machine is down, or goes up again, and no
>> service checks are performed while the machine is down?  When the box
>> comes up again, the service checks should be run soon if possible.
>>
>> This would be nice for boxes which are down regularly (but not according
>> to a pre-defined schedule), but have some services which shall be
>> monitored, without sending too many mails to the person in charge for
>> it...
>>
>> I'm running Nagios 3.2.3, self-compiled on Ubuntu 8.04, if that matters.
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Albrecht.
 >
 >Michael Barrett wrote:
 > In your host definition set the notification_options so that it doesn't
 > notify you when hosts go down/recover:
 >
 > notification_options         d,u,r
 >
 > (remove the d&  r)

Service checks would still be run when the host is down though.  If you don't
want them to run then I think you need to define a servicedependency for those
services, making them dependent on a master service that monitors the host
state and setting the execution_failure_criteria to the failure state of the
master service.