How to configure MySQL password for check_mysqlvia NRPE?

Grothaus, Christoph C.Grothaus at LRworld.com
Mon Sep 26 09:03:21 CEST 2011

Hi Axel,

thanks for your hint. I think I'll try this approach now.

The only thing that nags me is the warning that "check_mysql --help" issues:

 -p, --password=STRING
    Use the indicated password to authenticate the connection
    ==> IMPORTANT: THIS FORM OF AUTHENTICATION IS NOT SECURE!!! <==
    Your clear-text password could be visible as a process table entry

That's why I was searching for another way to provide the password to check_mysql. But if that's not possible, I'll try your way.

Regards

Christoph

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Axel Rosenski [mailto:rosenski at wave-computer.de]
Gesendet: Freitag, 23. September 2011 16:49
An: Nagios Users List
Betreff: Re: [Nagios-users] How to configure MySQL password for check_mysqlvia NRPE?

Hi Christoph,

you have to add user and password to your nrpe command.
command[check_mysqld]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_mysql -H localhost -u anyuser-panypass

You need to ensure that the chosen user has usage rights and if you like to monitor replication of a slave the user needs "replication slave" and "replication client"

Regards
Axel