monitor free space on ntfs volume without drive letter? (common in hyper-v clusters)

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Sat Sep 17 02:22:37 CEST 2011

Anyone have a good way of monitoring the free space in a hyper-v cluster shared volume (CSV)?  They don't show up in the hrStorage area in SNMP.  Anyone know how to find them in SNMP, or by using some other approach (maybe SNMP+WMI?)?

There's an example below for anyone not familiar with junction points.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Trever Furnish, tgfurnish at herffjones.com

CSVs are mounted using junction points, which is to say they're mounted "the unix way", in a folder mount point, not with a drive letter.

If you have access to a hyper-v cluster using CSVs, you can see this easily.  Here's what it looks like in Windows Storage Manager:
http://screencast.com/t/qQTja24lP

...and here's what it looks like in the failover cluster manager:
http://screencast.com/t/8z37yWLcuspI

It's easy to make one of these without clustering too - just stick in a thumb drive and in storage manager take away the drive letter and mount it on a folder just like you would in unix.

As long as it's got a drive letter, it shows up under hrStorage in SNMP - without a drive letter, I haven't found it yet.

The rest of this is just stream-of-research notes.  Hope it helps someone else who finds this later, but so far I don't have a solution.

I've installed Windows 2008's "SNMP WMI Provider" (Under "Features" in server manager), but so far I haven't figured out how to use it.  I think it's actually for going the other direction - getting SNMP info into WMI, not getting WMI info into SNMP.

It looks like Powershell can find the volumes and display details about them by using Win32_Volume, but I don't have an easy way to get that into Nagios yet:

Found this Cacti post about using OpenPegasus (which HP already packages in their hardware management tools for Unix) as a wbem gateway, so maybe there's hope down this path.  I was hoping to avoid installing more software on the windows servers, but since they're all HP hardware I may be able to tap into the existing HP tools if the OpenPegasus wbem gateway is also present in the windows version of the HP Insight agents:
http://forums.cacti.net/about11752.html

There's also Zenoss's wmiclient, haven't tried that yet, but it looks like it doesn't work against win2008:
http://felimwhiteley.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/wmi-calls-from-linux/
http://blogs.balabit.com/2010/09/18/wmi-client-for-linux/

The winexe link in that article doesn't work any more, but there's source code in the openbsd ports archive here:
ftp://ftp.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/distfiles//winexe-source-081123.tar.bz2
More here: http://openports.se/net/winexe
And usage info here: https://lbtwiki.cern.ch/bin/view/Online/WinExe
...but this also installs its own service on the target system remotely - crap.

Hmmm...  Here's another Nagios plugin specifically for WMI:
http://www.edcint.co.nz/checkwmiplus/

...and another, older:
http://www.thibault.info/node/2

Long write-up of various approaches here: http://www.networkcircus.com/articles/20090606.html