suddenly, cgi stopped working...

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Sep 15 18:36:50 CEST 2011

On 15 September 2011 13:42, Metron 6 (six) <metron6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all,
>
> I have nagios installed with centreon interface to add hosts, services, etc..
> Suddenly Nagios stopped showing data, in web interface.
>
> i get the message:
> Whoops!
> Error: Could not read host and service status information!
>
> it was working this morning. Nagios is running, as far as i can see
> from the log file.
>
> please, help..

The host and service information which the cgi is trying to read is in
the status.dat file.  Where that is depends on how you installed
Nagios, but is specified in nagios.cfg, the "status_file=" directive.
In a default install from tarballs it will be
/usr/local/nagios/var/status.dat .  Check if it exists and what the
ownership/permissions are.  It should be readable by your apache
daemon.

I would stop nagios:-
/etc/init.d/nagios stop

Then verify the config:-

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

Then check there are no nagios processes running (using ps), then
start Nagios again:-
/etc/init.d/nagios start

It's always best to verify the config before restarting or reloading
the Nagios daemon.

I hope that gives you some pointers.

Cheers,

Jim  (Capacity Planner for my sins)