Web interface errors

Jim Nachlin jim.nachlin at gawker.com
Tue Sep 13 20:27:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm receiving the most common, dreaded "Error: Could not read object
configuration data!" message on all of my cgi-generated web interface
pages.

My configuration files have no warnings in them.

/var/log/nagios/nagios.log does not give me any hints.  There are no
errors in the Apache logs.

Checks are actually working - so the non-web part of Nagios is OK.

I am running the RPM version on RHEL6: nagios-3.2.3-8.el6.x86_64 and
nagios-common-3.2.3-8.el6.x86_64, plus a number of plugins, also from
RPM.

SELinux is set to "permissive".

I am about at my wit's end.  Since there are no errors in any log
file, I don't know what to try next.  Is there some file ownership or
permissions settings I could change?  Most of what's under /etc/nagios
is owned by nagios:nagios, with the exception of the passwd file,
group apache.  The nagios process itself is also owned by nagios user.
 /usr/share/nagios/ is chowned -R nagios.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Jim