Email notifications not getting Out - RESOLVED

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 6 18:25:33 CEST 2011

Appreciate the support for this problem.  Got it fixed and wanted to put the info here hoping it helps someone in the future.

Problem was a missing  double quote from the notify-service-by-email command.  I could see the Notification being generated in nagios.log  but thats all.

>From the command line as the Nagios user, I ran the following  exactly as is with the addition of a $CONTACTEMAIL$:

/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $
SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAddition
al Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$\n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $S
ERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$

The result was a  " > " prompt.  I the ran the same command up to the pipe for/usr/sbin/mail and still got the  " > " prompt.  Once I added the  " after the n$SERVICEOUTPUT$\n", it worked.

I did run a verify a couple of times (/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg ) during troubleshooting but the verify did not pick up the error.

Thanks Again for the help, hope this helps someone in the future.

Steve