Aggregate multiple interfaces/services/hosts

Radu.Popa at technomatic.de Radu.Popa at technomatic.de
Tue Sep 6 07:52:31 CEST 2011

Hello,

I would like to monitor a couple of devices ( servers and witches) that
are connected to the network via at least two interfaces. Nagios server is
connected as well over two interfaces to the LAN. My question is:

Is there any way to aggregate the monitored services/hosts into a single
object that gives the critical status only when all aggregated objects
have this status?

For example: the Nagios system has two network interfaces: 192.168.0.1 and
192.168.1.1. I would like to monitor a DNS server connected to the network
via 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.1.2 IP addresses. Of course I can reach the
DNS server from Nagios two ways: either via the 192.168.0.1 interface or
via 192.168.1.1. My target is to issue a warning/critical signal only when
Nagios cannot query the DNS server on none of the IP addresses. Same
should apply for hosts and network equipment and the service group should
also provide performance data.

I have already gave a shot with Nagios BPI, but unfortunately I cannot use
the service group to map it in PNP4Nagios.

Thank you!