Observing latency

Pipitone Alan (External) Alan.Pipitone.Guest at saipem.com
Mon Sep 5 10:32:41 CEST 2011

Hi All

Let me tell you our experience about Nagios service latency.

We had about 1000 hosts and 6500 services on one Nagios server. Our service latency was about 600 seconds for each service (!!!). Also, some services were scheduled in the future, three/four days after the regular scheduled check interval (!!!).

We read the guide "Tuning Nagios For Maximum Performance" but we couldn't solve the problem. Then (after many tests) we disable pnp4nagios for all services.

The latency decreased from 600 seconds to about 15 seconds.

This extraordinary result can be explained by the fact that we use pnp4nagios synchronously. Probably our disk (or the controller) couldn't handle the workload (but our tests didn't reveal any details on this critical aspect).

Now we have a total of 1200 hosts and 7000 services, we use Merlin to distribuite Nagios between two server and we use pnp4nagios asynchronous. Now our latency is about 0.3 seconds and there are no more services scheduled in the future.

I hope this helps.

Bye

Alan Pipitone
http://www.alan-pipitone.com/