check_snmp_int - No usable data on file

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Sun Sep 4 12:25:52 CEST 2011

On 4 September 2011 10:53,  <Radu.Popa at technomatic.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using check_snmp_plugin to monitor a couple of switches. The command
> template I use is:
>
>  $USER1$/check_snmp_int.pl -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $USER5$ -2 -r -n $ARG1$ -fY
> -kqB -g -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ -d $ARG4$
>
> And the particular one for a certain port/device is:
>
> # Monitor bandwidth and port status - port 23
> define service{
>         use                        generic-service                ; Inherit
> values from a template
>         Host_name                switch1
>         Service_description        Port 23.
>         Check_command
>  check_snmp_int!"GigabitEthernet0/23"!600000,600000,100,100,100000,10!800000,800000,200,200,200000,20!11
>         Normal_check_interval        2                ; Check the service
> every 2 units under normal conditions
>         retry_check_interval<-->1                ; Re-check the service
> every one unit until its final/hard state is determined
>         }
>

> The interval length in nagios.cfg is set to:
>
> interval_length=10
>
> Can you please let me know a good value for the -d parameter in order to
> tweak the check_snmp_int.pl script properly?

I believe that with check_interval of 2 minutes, you need -d 120.

With the plugin working in this way, you need to set your
retry_interval to be the same as your check_interval, otherwise the -d
value won't be correct for the interval when the check starts
retrying!

Note that in Nagios 3, the syntax "normal_check_interval" and
"retry_check_interval" is deprecated.  The equivalent directives are
now simply "check_interval" and "retry_interval".  See:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagioscore/3/en/objectdefinitions.html#service

If you are still having problems with the "No usable data on file"
error, make sure the files created by the plugin are writeable by the
user 'nagios'  (if I recall they are under /tmp or maybe /var/tmp - I
don't have my nagios system to hand to check for sure).  If you have
been testing the plugin from the command line while logged in as
another user, it's quite likely the files will have the wrong
ownership/permissions in which case you can simply delete them to let
nagios recreate them next time it runs the plugin.