Nagios Web Interface does not notify when nagios service is killed!

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Sat Oct 29 00:25:36 CEST 2011

On 28 October 2011 18:55, Ashwin <discoverashwin at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working as UNIX administrator in Data Centre having more than few
> hundred servers(RHEL 5.5/6). I have installed Nagios (core) 3.3.1 and Nagios
> Plugins 1.4.15 and NRPE (Nagios Remote Plugin Executor) 2.12 to monitor the
> all servers in data centre mentioned above.
>
> When nagios process is killed manually at the nagios monitoring server, the
> nagios web interface does not automatically notify about the nagios process
> been killed (unless the service is explicitly stopped).
>
> This gives impression to support team looking at the web interface that
> everything is working fine when nagios process itself is killed/dead. I am
> new to nagios/RHEL, can you please give me some pointers to solve this
> issue.

In the (more years than I care to remember) that I've been running a
Nagios system, I've not had a problem with the nagios daemon being
killed manually.  So long as you stop/start it using the init script
the front end will make it pretty obvious the daemon is stopped.  If
your admins are fool enough to kill stuff off willy-nilly you need to
lock them out of your Nagios system, and any other system that's
important to you for that matter.

If you really want to know the daemon is killed, then simply knock up
a script, ideally running on another server, which queries your Nagios
server using snmp or ssh or whatever to see if the nagios daemon is
running and emails or SMSs you if it isn't.  The check_snmp_process
plugin could be useful for that task.
http://nagios.manubulon.com/snmp_process.html

hth,

Jim