escalations question

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Wed Oct 26 19:27:24 CEST 2011

Michael Barrett wrote:
> I was wondering - if a contact is only set to receive critical alerts, and
> via escalations the service is only set to contact that contact with a
> first_notification set as 3, what could cause that contact to get notified
> at the first notification?
>
> If the service has been in a warning state for a while (more than 3
> notifications, but none of them going to the critical only receiving
> contact since they aren't configured to get warnings) do those
> notifications count towards the first_notification count?

Yes. Each time Nagios generates a notification for any state, the notification
count is incremented.  After the recovery (OK state) notification is sent, the
count is reset to 0.

> I thought we had a pretty cool setup going where our secondary pager would
> only be notified if the service went critical and only after it's third
> critical notification - but this morning both the primary pager&  secondary
> pager were notified at the same time for a disk space issue that had been
> in a warning state for a few hours and then went to critical.

All the warning notifications incremented the count, so the count was greater
than 3 when the the service went critical.  There is no way to specify the 3rd
CRITICAL notification with escalations.  Notification counts do not take the
state into account.

> Is there anyway to get that sort of setup working btw?

You might re-think why you want to do this.  If there has been a problem at
the warning level for 2 or more notification intervals without it being
acknowledged (which stops notifications) or fixed, maybe your secondary
contact should be notified anyway when the critical threshold is exceeded.

If you really want it to work the way you describe then the best solution I
can think of is to have 2 separate services with different contacts.  One that
issues only warnings and the other only critical problems.  But then you've
doubled the number of checks you are doing for the same problem.

Paul Dubuc