About new release for Nagios

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Mon Oct 17 09:31:37 CEST 2011

Yu Watanabe wrote:
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> I see.
>
> Then I will think of using v 3.3.1.

wait for 3.4.x
> Which one is better to  use? The Latest snapshot or
> the Latest stable release? It would be a great help if you
> could give us your opinion.

3.2.3 is considered stable, 3.3.x is a developer release tree and
contains various things to be fixed or already fixed in svn. still,
empty perfdata is not re-enabled and breaks various graphing addons.
anyhow, that's up the nagios core devs to decide what to fix and when to
release.

the developer guidelines on wiki.nagios.org are lost, but iirc it's
mentioned over there which versions indicate which release tree.

> Thanks,
> Yu Watanabe
>
> Andreas Ericsson さんは書きました:
>> On 10/14/2011 02:01 AM, Yu Watanabe wrote:
>>> Hello Andreas.
>>>
>>> Thank you for the reply.
>>>
>>> I understood the situation. So, is v3.2.3 more stable version
>>> for now?
>>>
>> No. 3.2.3 has the same leaks but more other bugs. I'm still not entirely
>> convinced that one of the reported leaks is actually a leak though as I
>> can't see it in valgrind myself. The other leaks are primarily onetimers,
>> and the downtime and comment removal patches only matter if you're using
>> the new custom commands from altinity (or is it opsera?) that delete
>> downtime and comments on remote hosts when using nsca as a distribution
>> mechanism, and noone in their right mind should be doing that nowadays
>> anyway.
>>
>> --
>> Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
>> OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
>> Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231
>>
>> Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
>> terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
>> on peace.

DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email: 	michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at