About new release for Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 13 12:39:46 CEST 2011

On 10/13/2011 07:09 AM, Yu Watanabe wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I was curious there will be any new releases coming out in Nagios.
> I remember there was memory leak in 3.3.1.
>
> Are there any plans for any new releases?

No, there will never be a new release of Nagios ever again. We've all
decided to take up knitting and unicorn-breeding instead.

On a more serious note; Ofcourse there will be a new release of Nagios.
The memory leaks are not very serious and have not yet been merged to
the Nagios core, so making a new release right now would be stupid. I
still need more time to fully investigate the pros and cons of the patch
sent in to handle the memory leak in the notification, for instance. I
believe the proposed fix either doesn't fix the leak completely or fixes
it in a bad way that would cause other problems, so I need to run it
through valgrind a couple of times to first of all see the leak for
myself and secondly make sure nothing bad happens when the patch is
applied and there are multiple notifications going out, of which some
are sent to escalated contacts.

In the meantime, you can restart your Nagios daemon once a year to avoid
any realworld problems from any potential leaks (although running latest
svn trunk would fix most of them too, so you could probably get away with
restarting only ever leapyear or something).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.