Questions on snmp checks

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:16:16 CEST 2011

Good Morning All,

1st off, please don't laugh at me, we do EVERYTHING the hard way here.

I am in need to check 600 + remote Cisco routers for their primary port & secondary port.  I am running Nagios Core in a distributed environment, 600 + locations.  Each location running a Nagios dist server for 12 local clients.  All clients and servers are running SuSE Linux

I do not have snmp running on the remote distributed server ,  SNMP is running on the central server and its running on the  remote clients.

Here's where the fun starts :

1.  I assume I can't run an snmp check to the snmp enabled router from the distributed Nagios server since the server does not have snmp installed  ( BTW, NOT an Option )

2.  Could I run a check from the distributed server to one of the clients ( who has snmp installed ) to the router ?  ( I know,  Rube Goldberg.... )

3.  If I run the check from my central server out to the 600 Cisco routers, how manageable would that be?

Any other thoughts on how I could monitor 2 separate ports on these routers? The primary reason for the check is the secondary port is Broadband & we run some security camera stuff thru that port only.  I need to know when the broadband connection goes down for obvious reasons.

Have not tried any of my solutions as there is some configuration needed for the routers to talk to someone via snmp.  Didn't want my Comm guys to do any config work if this idea wouldn't work.

Thanks,
Steve