problem resgistering new service

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at jokefire.com
Sat Oct 8 16:16:23 CEST 2011

Hello list!!

I am trying to setup a new plugin that will check haproxy. However when I try to add the service definition to the config file I am getting an error claiming that it cannot register the service. I was wondering where I could best look to track down this error and if anyone has any suggestion that might help troubleshoot this.

# config error

Error: Could not register service (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/lb.cfg', starting on line 197)
   Error processing object config files!

## service definition from /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/lb.cfg

        define service {
          host_name             virtual  ## <- line 197
          service_description   HAProxy
          check_command         check_haproxy!http://virtual/admin?stats;csv
        }

## host definition for 'virtual' host in /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/lb.cfg

define host{

        use                     linux-server
        host_name               virtual
        address                 192.168.1.200
        }

## command definition

define command {
        command_name    check_haproxy
        command_line    $USER1$/check_haproxy.pl -u "$ARG1$"
#~      _comment        Test url HAProxy
}

thanks in advance!
tim